Thursday, March 11, 2010

Making a GAME Plan to use Technology in the Classroom

EDUC-6713D-2 Integrating Technology Across the Content Areas

The GAME plan is important to planning for use of technology in the classroom. "Setting goals" is the "first step" and is a must in planning for use of technology (Cennamom, Ross, and Ertmer, 2009, p. 7).

After visitig the web site for the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) and after examining the National Education Standards for Teacher (NETS-T, 2009), I have developed a GAME Plan. First, I have identified two areas that need to be strengthened. The first area is to design and develop digital age learning experiences and assessments. My students can use Wiki spaces to build collaborative projects that engage them in team work and using technology. The second area is to engage in professional growth and leadership. While I enjoy learning, more classes are needed to egnage in technology that is relevant to education. To achieve these goals, my next course of action will be to collaborate with teachers who use technology, such as a Wiki speace, in the classroom. Secondly, I will make it a top priority to seek out professional development and learning opportunities that afford me advancement in knowledge and skills related to teaching using technology in the classroom. To monitor my students' progress on the Wiki Space, the teacher would be the administrator for the Wiki. Reports can be pulled to monitor the progress and partipation of my students working on their Wiki spaces.

In the article, "Turning on the Lights," Prenskey, points out that teachers should move away from being the focus of instruction, and move toward use of technology that enables students to manipulate and create products. This can certainly engage students in the learning process. In this week's video, Diana Laufenberg, explains that technology can be used as a means of engaging students, such as with collaborative technology. A Wiki space is a perfect way to set up a collaborative project where students can apply what they having learned and even put together a group project.

References:
Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach (Laureate Education custom edition). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

Prensky, M. (2008, March). Turning on the lights. Educational Leadership, 65(6), 40–45.

National Educational Technology Standaards for (NETS*T) for Performance Indicators for Teachers (2010), http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForTeachers/2008Standards/NETS_T_Standards_Final.pdf

3 comments:

Lynette said...

Alisha,

I was wondering if you signed up for a feedburner, because I am having trouble subscribing to your blog. When I try to do it it wants me to set up an account. I shouldn't need to set up an account. I did try setting up an account and it says my password is incorrect. I am not sure what is going on.

Take Care,
Lynette Vega

Shirley's Space said...

Hi, Alisha

Your vision to design and develop digital age learning experiences for your students will be engaging to them because of their experience with social networking sites such as Face Book and My Space. Such sites seem to foster creative thinking as participants respond to the thoughts, ideas and statuses of others.
Your self-directed pursuit of professional develpment and learning opportunities in using technology for the advancement of education is a vision that is a must for a successful educator. It signifies, Alisha, that you are fully aware of the need to be a lifelong learner and are modeling it as the educator's philosophy.
Good luck in fulfilling your visions.

Shirley

Alisha C said...

I have a Google Reader account it is linked to this account. Not sure of the problem.