Thursday, March 12, 2009

To Blog or Not to Blog in the Classroom...that is the question

I am considering the benefits and risk of using a blog in my fifth grade, language arts and social studies classroom. The benefits would be building students' communication and literacy skills using technology, as a tool for learning. In Will Richardson's book, Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and Other Powerful Web Tools, on page 27, he points out that a blog is a collaborative way to get the teacher and students involved in "reflection and metacognitive analysis" (Corwin Press, 2009). In addition, he points out that Weblogs are "truly a constructivist tool for learning, " because the content created "becomes part of a wider body of knowledge." I can see the benefits in promoting not only a stronger connection and reflection of the subject matter being taught or using a blog to promote higher order questions and thinking, but also to build literacy and communication skills, which will be essential throughout a student's life, especially in higher education and the work place. I'm still the risk and the benefits of using a blog in the classroom. I would like to hear from other educators who have used blogs in the classroom and can share about their experience.

Richardson, W. (2009). Blogs, wiks, podcasts, and other powerful web tools for classrooms (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press

3 comments:

adibftw said...

As an undergraduate I have used blogging in my university level classrooms. I currently teach at the high school level and would love to incorporate blogging into my curriculum. I believe that blogging could be used to support curriculum, assessment, and instruction if used the proper way. However we as modern educators have many roadblocks in our way before we can use blogging safely and effectively. These roadblocks come in the form of legalities, ethics, and lack of funding for technology in our classrooms.

tarebare said...

While I have not yet incorporated blogging into my repertoire, I intend to do so for exactly the reasons you have stated in your post. Blogging gives students the opportunity to communicate in a more detailed way than ordinary discussion does. It also allows students to put a good amount of thought into their reactions, as opposed to the spontaneous nature of discussions. I don't think blogging should completely replace discussions, rather act as precursor and follow-up.

Alisha C said...

Adib,

I agree with you, that as educators, we have some "roadblocks" that must be worked through, before we can successfully implement blogs in the classroom. What we need to do, is find the teachers already using blogs to better understand how this can work in our own classrooms. Of course, each teacher and his or her students are unique to others. What works for one, may not work for another. We also have to deal with district, and school level policies, before considering blogs in the classroom. I'm working toward a better understanding of how to incorporate a blog into the classroom and how it has been successful for other teachers and their students. Look for updates on this blog. Thank you for your feedback!